In our school we currently offer a foreign language to all children in Key Stage 2. At Crowan School we believe that many children really enjoy learning to speak another language. Secondly, we also believe that the earlier a child is exposed to a foreign language, the faster the language in question is acquired.
The aims and objectives of learning a modern foreign language in primary school are:
- to foster an interest in learning other languages;
- to introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun;
- to make young children aware that language has structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another;
- to help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries;
- to develop their speaking and listening skills;
- to lay the foundations for future study.
French is the modern foreign language that we teach in our school. We teach the children to know and understand how to:
- ask and answer questions;
- use correct pronunciation and intonation;
- memorise words;
- interpret meaning;
- understand basic grammar;
- use dictionaries;
- work in pairs and groups, and communicate in the other language;
- look at life in another culture.